Friday 17 April 2015

'Needs' by Emma Collins

I have always been insistent on the correct use of words. My father paid for my education; a fact I was reminded of daily. Olivia, he would say at a cool distance, stop twittering for my attention and find companionship in your books, and so I did. The world of words had always been clear to me.

So when my husband told me he was leaving, that he needed to be with this …girl, I was incensed. He didn’t need to be with her, he was like a spoiled snotty child hanging off its drippy mother in the supermarket, clamouring for a new toy.

A need is a lack of something deemed necessary for example look at me now; I simply have to go shopping, and the items I need to carry on life as before are simple: a sheet, a saw and a shovel.





FlashFlood is brought to you by National Flash-Fiction Day UK, happening this year on 27th June 2015.
In the build up to the day we have now launched our Micro-Fiction Competition (stories up to 100 words) and also our annual Anthology (stories up to 500 words).  So if you have enjoyed FlashFlood, why not send us your stories?
More information about these and the Day itself available at nationalflashfictionday.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...