Friday 17 April 2015

'Weenie' by Donna B McNicol



So many years had passed and he wasn't sure he wanted to go. He'd never been before, why start now? High school hadn't been good to him. Always an outcast, never fitting in, he had dreaded every single day. He thought back over those dreadful years, hiding in the locker room, sneaking his band costume into his locker, the locker with the taunts as decoration.

"Sweetie, if you don't want to go, then don't." His wife supported him, whatever his decision. "If they weren't your friends then, why bother?

"I guess it's a challenge. You know me and personal challenges. I just can't say no." He looked at himself in the mirror. Twenty-five years had filled out his body, enhanced the angular look to his face and hardened his personality. 

"I've decided to do it, will you come too?" he asked his wife of twenty years, thinking to himself, what did I ever do to deserve her?

"Sure. I'd love to see their reaction. I actually enjoyed mine last year, even if you couldn't make it." She came up and from behind wrapped her arms around him and laid her head on his back. "You'll knock their socks off."

A slow smile spread across his face. "Maybe, maybe not. Let's get dressed and grab some dinner first."


Registration at the front table was easy, he quickly found his photo name tag and put it on. "Let's get a drink," his wife suggested. They headed to the bar and ordered two glasses of wine before sitting at an empty table.

He gazed at the people meandering around the room."I recognize a few folks, the jocks and the cheerleaders. Most of the others look like strangers." 

"You're a stranger to them, too. I keep noticing women whispering and pointing this way. This is fun." His wife giggled as a couple of classmates casually walked towards them. She whispered, "Now it starts. Have fun."

He stood and held out his hand, "Jack, Dave, Sammy. Good to see you again." 

The three men stared at him, his hand, then his name tag. Finally the tallest spoke, "Weenie, is that you? My god, man. You grew up... Um, thank you for your service." Behind him one of the others offered a salute.

"Thank you. Sorry about the hand, I know it makes shaking a little awkward." 




FlashFlood is brought to you by National Flash-Fiction Day UK, happening this year on 27th June 2015.
In the build up to the day we have now launched our Micro-Fiction Competition (stories up to 100 words) and also our annual Anthology (stories up to 500 words).  So if you have enjoyed FlashFlood, why not send us your stories?
More information about these and the Day itself available at nationalflashfictionday.co.uk.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Didn't see it coming, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great story Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An unexpected ending. Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it. Like the others, I didn't expect the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for reading and commenting. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for reading and commenting. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your use of the twist at the end of your flash fiction. I wouldn't have thought I could get so connected to your characters in such few words for the twist to affect me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your use of the twist at the end of your flash fiction. I wouldn't have thought I could get so connected to your characters in such few words for the twist to affect me!

    ReplyDelete

Congratulations to our 2023 Best Small Fictions Nominees!

We are delighted to nominate the following 2023 FlashFlood stories to the Best Small Fictions Anthology: ' I Once Swallowed a Rollercoas...